Thursday 26 February 2015

Session 2 followed by tea for 2

'Exhausting' would be the best way to describe my session at Mind this week. It was different in that I wasn't filling Zoe in on the details of my reason for being there, but exploring my mindset and my feelings.

Like my first session, I left feeling lighter and better about myself afterwards; I think that learning to forgive yourself for feeling the way you feel is a big part of the 'getting better' process.

Zoe has given me homework. This week I have to write a letter to someone I care about, sharing my feelings. I have finished the letter, which is 8 pages long and now sits on my bedside table in preparation for Session 3. I found myself getting emotional during the parts of the letter where I found myself apologising; I wonder which parts of the letter will make me feel emotional when I read it out to Zoe? I know I will be exhausted after the next session.

An extra highlight to my counselling sessions is bumping into an old friend who just happens to have counselling on the same day as me, at the same time. This week, we went for a cup of tea at a little family run cafè afterwards. It hasn't been open long: quirky, modern, embracing strange teas and unique teapots. My cherry green tea was served in one made purely of glass, whilst K opted for a Chai tea in a traditional mug. 

The company was lovely. We didn't say much, both drained after our sessions, but it was perfect. K also treated me to a brownie, strictly off limits, but apt after a morning of emotional turmoil!

Next week, we're going to meet in the waiting room beforehand so that we can have a proper catch up, then we'll go our separate ways to wind down after our sessions. I don't think I'll be good company after reading out my letter. Afterwards, I plan on ripping it up into little pieces and throwing it away, a ritual I feel will be a big part of 'letting go' of certain feelings. I hope it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment